How it came into being
A Course in Miracles began with the sudden decision of two people to join in a common goal. Their names were Helen Schucman and William Thetford, Professors of Medical Psychology at Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City.
I myself, came across the Course in Miracles two months after the passing of my son, just turned 20 years old. He was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was just turning his life around and had decided to “be responsible” for his life.
He had been working on becoming a “Chef” at a classy restaurant called Shells, in Port Charlotte, Florida. The accident happened seconds before he was about to turn into his place of employment. The devastation I felt from that, no parent, family member or friend should ever experience.
After two months of “not being able to figure it all out”, I came upon a Course in Miracles. At first it was just a “counseling” session to help me to understand what was going on in my mind about what had happened. Then I was introduced to “Jim” who was not only helping me with more anger but taught A Course in Miracles. He invited me to join a group he was facilitating, and the rest is His(story) or Her(story). I couldn’t get enough of hearing and reading about it. And the different books about the stories of others who after applying what they learn from the Course to their lives. Ten years later, I have a website and am helping others to become aware “if they so ‘choose’ to” of “Something” they may have forgotten about themselves.
After many years of ‘keeping the faith’ and believing in a God of Love and Understanding in the Christian Church, I have found more Peace, Love, Hope, Joy and Understanding from this book than any other in my years of living on the Earth. Just so no one gets ‘offended’, there are Bible passages in the Course, ‘many of them’ that help explain your true nature.
My Hope and Prayer is that “you too” come to find an understanding that helps you to live the rest of your life feeling Safe, Secure and Loved, beyond anything you could ever imagine.
Some quotes from the Course
- Introduction – Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God.
- Miracles occur naturally as expressions of love. They are performed by those who temporarily have more for those who temporarily have less.
- Perfect love casts out fear. If fear exists, then there is not perfect love.
- Corrective learning begins with the awakening of spirit, and the turning away from belief in physical site.
- There are no idle thoughts.
- Only those who give over all desire to reject can know that their own rejection is impossible.
- Love will immediately enter into any mind that truly wants it.
- When you meet anyone, remember it is a ‘holy encounter’. As you see him, you will see yourself… For in him you will find yourself or lose yourself.
- A therapist doesn’t heal, he lets healing be.
- You will remember everything the instant you desire it wholly. To desire wholly is to create.
- What is healing but the removal of all that stands in the way of knowledge.
- The world is only in the mind of its maker. Do not believe it is outside of yourself.
- If you did not feel guilty, you could not attack.
- Don’t deny yourself the message of relief that every brother offers you now.
- God calls you and you do not hear, for you are preoccupied with your own voice.
- The search for love is but the honest searching out of everything that interferes with love.
- Clean but the mirror and the message shines forth.
More on A Course in Miracles
The links below take you to other web sites that offer help in understanding what the Course in Miracles is offering, with those who have been practicing and teaching the Course for over 20 years and more.
- www.helpingministry.com – Rev. James DeMaio
- www.acimconferencecalls.com – Rev. Pamela Whitman
- www.jcim.net – Rev. Reja Joy Green
- www.livingmiraclescenter.org – Rev. David Hoffmeister
After studying the Course in Miracles with my first Teacher, The Rev. James DeMaio for my first 6 1/2 years, The Rev. Tony Ponticello, from Community Miracles Center, located in San Francisco, found me on Facebook and ask if I were interested in taking his ministerial program. It is a 2 year course. I accepted but only completed 1 year. The Rev. Peter Graham became my teacher with Rev. Tony and others filling in when Rev. Peter could not. I became acquainted with Rev. Pamela Whitman and Rev. Reja Joy Green through some work I had done for Rev. Tony. I soon found out that Rev. Pam and Rev. Reja were facilitating morning lesson calls 7 days a week. I joined their class along with a text call class with 2 other facilitators which I am presently engage in. These classes have given me more insight and joy than I could have ever imagined. The clarity I receive day in and day out fill my spiritual cravings and more. At times I co-facilitate the calls which helps me to reinforce my own re-thinking on my perceptions of Truth.
The people I have met in the Course in Miracles community have been more than supportive in more ways than one could ask for. Anyone of these Earth Angels, (that’s who they are to me) are there for me whenever the need arises for me to share something that is going on in my life. They do not claim to know the Truth, they do not “tell” me what I should or should not do, they just listen and Love with All of their hearts and by always referring to the Guidance in the writings of A Course in Miracles. I’d recommend any one of them at anytime to any one for spiritual guidance.
Just click on the button below – More About Acim – to see comments and some other writings on about what the Course is saying. Thank you for visiting. Much Love and Many Blessings to you. Thank you for showing up in the world.